Can Twizzlers Kill Dogs?

Twizzlers have long been a popular candy, loved by kids and adults alike.

However, recent reports have some pet owners concerned that the treat may be harmful – even deadly – to their furry friends.

Where do we draw the line, and how can you keep your dog safe?

So, can twizzlers kill dogs?

Twizzlers will not kill your dog outright, but they can cause serious health problems.

If your pup ingests a large number of the candy, it could be life-threatening and eventually lead to death.

If your dog ate a twizzler, stop panicking and monitor their behavior for the next few minutes.

This article informs you about the dangers of twizzlers for dogs and what to do if your pup eats some.

It also gives insights on how to deal with your dog and twizzlers. Read on to find out how to keep your best friend safe.

Can Twizzlers kill dogs

Why you should not give your dog twizzlers

Twizzlers aren’t safe for your dog.

They have high sugar content, harmful ingredients to your dog (like chocolate and xylitol), and provide no nutritional value.

The following are reasons why you should not give your dog twizzlers.

Gastrointestinal upsets

The high sugar content in twizzlers can cause gastrointestinal upsets like diarrhea and vomiting in your dog.

When your furry friend consumes twizzlers in large numbers, the candies strain their digestive systems, which can’t handle sugars effectively.

This results in metabolic challenges and lethargy.

Toxicity of harmful ingredients in the twizzlers

Besides having high sugar content, twizzlers contain other harmful ingredients like chocolate and xylitol.

Chocolate is toxic to dogs because it contains theobromine, a compound similar to caffeine that will make your pup highly agitated, causing vomiting and increasing their heart rate.

Xylitol is an artificial sweetener poisonous to dogs and will cause a drop in blood sugar levels, leading to weakness and loss of coordination.

No nutritional value

Twizzlers are empty calories providing no nutritional value for your dog.

Dogs don’t need sugar in their diet, and feeding them sugary snacks can lead to obesity and other health problems.

Choking hazard

Twizzlers are a choking hazard for dogs.

Your dog can swallow big pieces of the candy, or its wrapper, both of which can cause choking, intestine obstruction, and blockage that may require surgery to correct.

If the twizzler get’s stuck on your dog’s throat, it can block the airway and lead to suffocation.

It’s advisable to keep twizzler cans away from your pup’s reach.

Allergy reactions

Your dog may suffer from allergic reactions to some ingredients in the twizzlers.

The most common allergens in twizzlers are soy, dairy, and wheat.

Allergic reactions can cause your dog to have diarrhea, vomiting, itchiness, and runny nose.

This can lead to your pet losing appetite.

Dental caries

These candies can cause dental caries.

The sugar in the twizzlers will adhere to your dog’s teeth and gums, leading to plaque build-up and eventually tooth decay or periodontal diseases.

Pancreas inflammation

High amounts of sugar can cause pancreatitis in your dog.

When your dog’s pancreas is inflamed, it will not be able to function properly.

This can lead to serious health problems and death.

Twizzlers

What should I do if my dog eats twizzlers?

If your dog has eaten a small number of twizzlers, they will likely be fine after a few hours, but you should keep an eye on them and monitor their behavior.

However, if they have eaten many twizzlers, check the ingredients list to see if there are any harmful ingredients like chocolate or xylitol.

Give your dog a lot of fresh water to drink and monitor their behavior closely.

Fresh water will help to flush out any harmful toxins from their system.

If you notice any changes in your dog’s behavior or signs of sickness, take them to the vet clinic.

Don’t try to induce vomiting on your own, as this can be dangerous.

What treats can I give my dog instead of twizzlers?

There are many healthy and safe alternatives you can give your dog instead of twizzlers.

Some good options include:

  • Veggies: Dogs love crunchy veggies like carrots, celery, and green beans. These make great low-calorie snacks that are packed with nutrients.
  • Fruit: You can also give your dog small pieces of fruit like apples, bananas, and berries. Remove the seeds and pits as these can be dangerous for dogs.
  • Meat: You can give them small pieces of cooked chicken, turkey, or beef as a healthy treat. Ensure there’s no salt or seasonings added.

If you opt for treats that have sugar (at low levels), you can give your pup dog snacks, dry kibbles, rice krispies cereal, and dog ice cream.

You can also give your pup store-sought pureed fruits that don’t have any sugar added, like blueberries.

Carefully read the labels before feeding your dog anything new.

Talk to your vet about what treats are best for your pup.

Some important points to note while giving your dog treats

  • Start by giving them a small amount to see how they react. Some dogs may be more sensitive to sugary treats than others and can get sick easily. If your dog can tolerate the treat you give them, increase the amount gradually while adhering to moderation.
  • Always supervise your dog when they eat treats. Remove the wrapper before giving them to avoid choking hazards. When in doubt, ask your vet.
  • Treats should only form a small part of your dog’s daily caloric intake (not more than 10%). Their main meals should come from whole balanced-diet foods.

Frequently asked questions (FAQs)

Can other candies harm my dog?

Many types of candy can be harmful to dogs, including chocolate, gum, mints, hard candy, and gummies.

These candies contain harmful ingredients like xylitol, chocolate, and caffeine which are toxic to dogs.

Are there dog-safe candies specifically for dogs?

Some companies make dog-safe candies that are specifically made for dogs.

These candies usually have ingredients for dogs’ consumption.

However, it’s best to check with your veterinarian before giving your dog anything new.

Can I give my dog twizzlers if they are sugar-free?

You should not give your dog sugar-free twizzlers because they may contain xylitol.

Xylitol is a sugar substitute that is toxic to dogs and can cause serious health problems.

Can puppies have twizzlers?

No, puppies should not have twizzlers or any other type of candy.

Puppies are more sensitive to sugar and can easily get sick from it. It’s best to give them dog-safe treats instead.

Conclusion

While twizzlers may be popular among humans, they are not the best treat for your furry friend.

Occasionally giving your dog a few twizzlers is not likely to cause any harm, but it’s best to avoid giving them this candy regularly.

If your dog ingests high number of this treat, the situation can be life-threatening and lead to death by toxicity, poisoning, or severe health complications caused.

Megan Turner
Latest posts by Megan Turner (see all)

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *