Can Dogs Eat White Button Mushrooms?

Autumn season presents us with mushrooms everywhere; this makes it hard to identify safe, edible varieties for ourselves and our furry pals.

Dogs, as we know, are never too concerned with what enters their mouth, so it’s up to dog owners.

While white button mushrooms are safe for you, can your dog eat them?

When they grab some on that nature walk, do you panic, or is it safe for them?

So, can dogs eat white button mushrooms?

Yes, mushrooms are non-toxic to dogs and, thus, safe for consumption.

They have a rich nutritional profile, including minerals, vitamins, and proteins vital in your dog’s body functions like metabolisms and digestive processes.

Contrary, excessive consumption of white button mushrooms leads to gastrointestinal issues in canines.

Check with your vet before introducing mushrooms into your dog’s daily diet.

Dogs are excellent companions, and we love them immensely.

When feeding them, do white button mushrooms count as safe?

Let’s find out in this detailed article.

What are the health benefits of white button mushrooms for dogs?

White button mushrooms are chock-full of nutrients, and adding them to your dog’s diet is an excellent decision.

They contain these nutrients;

Rich minerals

White button mushrooms have zinc for healthy skin, iron that aids energy production, and copper, which supports cellular metabolism.

They’re also rich in phosphorus which helps develop muscle and critical body functioning.

Vitamins rich

White button mushrooms have a high vitamin D count among edible mushrooms, primarily consumed in soluble form in your dog’s body.

Vitamin D supports calcium metabolism and bone and muscle development.

Additionally, white button mushrooms are rich in B-complex vitamins like niacin with antioxidant properties that help reduce infections.

Low calorie

Fresh or dried white button mushrooms have a low-calorie count superb for adding to your dog’s daily diet—this aids in weight management, reducing risks associated with fatty dog foods.

Can Dogs Eat White Button Mushrooms

Can dogs eat wild mushrooms?

Most wild mushrooms are edible and safe for dogs, but some can also be poisonous.

Luckily, dogs can sniff toxins making it nearly impossible to munch on toxic wild mushrooms when you’re on that trail walk.

However, keep your dog from eating wild mushrooms unless you’re sure it’s safe.

Otherwise, certain wild mushrooms can be problematic to their health if ingested.

Do your research and keep your dog safe.

Which mushrooms are safe for dogs to eat?

Organic mushrooms are the best to incorporate into your dog’s diet for additional nutrients.

They include;

  • Cremini
  • White button
  • Portobello
  • Porcini
  • Maitake
  • Shiitake
  • Reishi

Some wild mushrooms toxic to dogs include:

  • Death cap (Amanita phalloides)
  • Deadly Galerina (Galerina marginata)
  • Jeweled death cap (Amanita gemmata)
  • Fly agaric (Amanita muscaria)
  • False morels (Gyromitra species)

What are the dangers of feeding wild mushrooms to my dog?

Some wild mushrooms can be poisonous even in small quantities, and the severity of mushroom toxicity largely depends on the species.

There are different mushroom categories known to affect various body areas.

Mushroom toxicity  

These wild mushroom species damage body cells leading to liver and kidney failure if consumed in large amounts.

Some mushrooms specifically target the nervous system leading to seizures, tremors, and incoordination.

Other types cause mild effects like stomach upsets, vomiting, and diarrhea but are rarely life-threatening.

Symptoms of mushroom poisoning in dogs include;

  • Vomiting
  • Diarrhea
  • Lethargy
  • Abdominal pains
  • Seizures
  • Excess drooling
  • Jaundice
  • Sedation
  • Coma

Allergies

Some dogs may develop allergic reactions when introduced to something new like white button mushrooms.

Mild reactions manifest as vomiting, bloating, excessive itching and paw licking, hot spots, and skin problems.

Some canines may experience extreme sensitivity to mushrooms and develop severe reactions after ingesting them, although it’s not common.

Watch for signs like hives, increased heart rate, difficulty breathing, and face and neck swellings.

Stop feeding white button mushrooms to your pet once you see these reactions.

Contact your vet immediately to avoid further complications.  

How much cooked white button mushrooms should your dog eat?

There are many benefits to feeding your dog white button mushrooms, but you should also take some precautions.

Too much of anything good is dangerous.

Ensure the mushroom is plain, without additives or seasonings when feeding your pup.

Otherwise, the mushroom may be safe, but the ingredients might be problematic to your dog’s digestive system and sensitive stomach.  

The serving portion depends on your pup’s size, weight, and sensitivity to mushrooms.

Consult your vet for further guidance before adding white button mushrooms to your dog’s diet.

Can dogs safely eat store-bought white button mushrooms?

Yes, most store-bought white button mushrooms are safe for consumption.

Regrettably, some are preserved in oils, seasonings, and sauces, making them problematic to canines.

Unless the mushroom is plain, you can give them a different treat like carrots, applesauce, or plain pumpkin, which poses no health hazards.

Consult your vet if you suspect any adverse effects caused by store-bought white button mushrooms.

What should I do when my dog overeats white button mushrooms?

White button mushrooms are safe for dogs, so, no need to panic about toxicity.

The pup will have mild stomach upsets due to overeating which will subdue in a while.

However, if you cook the mushrooms with spices, watch for gastrointestinal issues like vomiting, diarrhea, or lethargy.

Offer them plenty of clean water as you contact your vet.

Can dogs eat raw white button mushrooms?

Raw white button mushrooms are not toxic but have a rigid chitinous wall that prevents nutrient absorption.

This may affect dogs with sensitive stomachs leading to digestive problems.

Soak white button mushrooms in salt water for about 10 minutes to remove the dirt harbored in the wrinkly caps.

Thoroughly cook white button mushrooms with no seasonings or spices before feeding your dog to avoid sickness—moderation is key.

Let’s wrap it up

Dogs are excellent, and as an owner, you want a healthy companion; thus, their diet matters.

Adding some white-button mushrooms increases a healthy intake of proteins, vitamins, and minerals beneficial for their vital body functions.

However, don’t be carried away by the rich nutritional profile; moderation is key.

Since you know the benefits and risks of white button mushrooms, feel free to share bites with your furry friend.

Megan Turner
Latest posts by Megan Turner (see all)

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published.