Can Dogs Eat Grape Leaves? What You Need To Know

Drooling and tail wagging is your dog’s way of asking for the foods we eat and handle, including vegetable scraps.

Unknown to them, some human foods are poisonous to dogs.

Resist the temptation of sharing everything with your furry friend, as sometimes it’s for the best.

The dog may quickly eat grapes, including the leaves but is this ok?

Should you just let him?

So, can dogs eat grape leaves?

No.

Grape leaves contain a number of toxic compounds like cyanide, pesticide/insecticide compounds, and tartaric acid; lethal if consumed by your pet.

Apart from posing direct toxicity, grape leaves cannot be effectively metabolized by dogs.

This results in health issues such as gastrointestinal upsets. 

Grapes, in particular, can cause temporary blindness, kidney failure, or death to dogs, but what about grape leaves?

Let’s ‌discuss the health implications of grape leaves to your loyal furry friend, and why you should keep the two apart.

Can dogs eat grape leaves

Can dogs eat grape leaves?

It’s not advisable to expose dogs to grapes, or their leaves.

Grape leaves may harbor toxic chemicals used to protect the plant while growing.

This is a health risk if your dog consumes them.

Cyanide, for example, can kill the dog. 

If the dog suffers from cyanide poisoning after consuming grape leaves, these symptoms may reveal:

  • Vomiting
  • High Irritability
  • Disorientation and poor coordination
  • Tremors
  • Convulsions
  • Unconsciousness
  • Cardiac arrest (can lead to death)

Why your dog shouldn’t eat grape leaves

Gastrointestinal problems 

Grapes and their leaves will leave the dog with dire gastrointestinal upsets which will present with vomiting, or diarrhea.

Your dog’s kidney attempting to ingest grape leaves can lead to kidney damage due to the toxicity on the leaves.

Other gastrointestinal upsets will present with increased urination and thirst, followed by appetite loss, and lethargy.

Gastrointestinal problems in the dog are likely to be followed by a diminished, or entire appetite loss by the dog.

Risk of poisoning

Your dog risks poisoning by the harmful insecticides and pesticides found on the entire grape plant including the leaves.

Every vineyard harbors chemicals used to control pests which eventually accumulate on plant parts.

The toxic chemicals of these insecticides are harmful if consumed by your canine friend.

Grapes also contain tartaric acid.

Traces of this acid can be found on the leaves.

Tartaric acid negatively affects the dog’s kidneys, resulting in pain, and restlessness. 

Risk of the dog suffering intestinal blockage

Since grape leaves cannot be metabolized effectively by the dog’s kidney, the poorly digested products can accumulate within the dog’s system and cause intestinal blockage.

This will result in the dog experiencing pain and discomfort during its meal times.

Discomfort which leads to lethargy

As the dog’s kidney cannot efficiently metabolize grape leaves, your furry friend will develop general discomfort.

This causes lethargy, and dullness.

The state of inactivity by your pet can lead to dizziness, and confusion which will impede his ability to make decisions.

Your dog hence remains exposed to physical harm in his inability to make vital decisions.

A dog showing lethargy should be a serious concern to the dog owner.

The dog will be disinterested in all activities, including those that delight him like playing with his owner.

If left unattended, the dog will suddenly lose weight.

This presents the risk of the dog developing a decreased liver function, or worse more a liver failure.

What should you do if your dog eats grape leaves?

When your dog consumes grape leaves, they will start showing signs of sickness, which may not clear even after a few hours.

If you notice any unusual sign by the dog, the immediate first aid is to give him plenty of water to help solve the digestion problem.

You must then rush him to the vet clinic for an actual examination and medication.

Always monitor what the dog feeds on, and don’t let them eat things on their own.

If you have a vineyard with grapes, it’s advisable to lock its access, so your pet will not eat from it unknowingly.

What healthy alternatives can I feed my dog?

If you want to include raw vegetable leaves in your dog’s diet, a number of safe options are available.

These include spinach, lettuce, chard, kales and cabbage that offer high nutritional value to the dog.

They contain vitamins (such as Vit B, C), minerals (like potassium and iron), and fiber.

The dog can effectively handle this, optimize on its nutritional benefits, and still stay safe.

Consult with your vet on the best approach and how to incorporate these, bit by bit into the dog’s diet. 

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

Can I feed my dog just a little grape leaves?

No, you shouldn’t feed your dog even a little grape leaves.

It’s unsafe.

Humans mostly use grape leaves as additives, for additional crispiness, salad, or as vegetables, and enjoy its feel but this is different with dogs.

Keep the grape leaves away from the dogs.

Can grape leaves kill my dog?

Yes, grapes can kill your dog when he consumes in high amounts.

The toxic effects can be overwhelming to the dog, eventually killing him.

Grape leaves aren’t poisonous to us and we can sometimes make assumptions that what we eat are fine if shared with our lovely pets but that’s a misconception.

Animals have metabolic differences so we should just handle them with caution.

What do I do if my dog ate grape leaves but I don’t see any symptoms?

If your dog took some grape leaves but you don’t see any symptoms, don’t just sit and do nothing.
Take him to the vet immediately for medical examination and further advice.
Some symptoms can be mild and unnoticeable, but may later cause adverse health effects to your furry friend.

Conclusion

Grape leaves aren’t recommended for dogs, the leaves are poisonous to them.

Don’t let your pet have even a little.

Always monitor your dog while handling grapes, otherwise don’t expose them at all.

Mild effects by the leaves can be managed at a vet clinic by medication, but too much consumption can be fatal.

If you want to feed your furry friend healthy raw vegetable leaves, settle on the safer alternatives.

Megan Turner
Latest posts by Megan Turner (see all)

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *