Can Dogs Drink La Croix?

Don’t we all love a glass or two of sparkling water on a hot day?

It’s fizzy and bubbly and improves satiety, especially when you’re on a weight management journey.

While you may enjoy a crisp glass of La Croix, you can’t help but wonder if the same applies to your furry friend.

Well, let’s find out, shall we? 

So can dogs drink La Croix?

Yes.

Dogs can occasionally drink a small amount of La Croix as it doesn’t contain any immediate toxic ingredients.

However, if your dog drinks too much La Croix, it would result in gas buildup, leading to bloat, a potentially life-threatening condition.

This article will discuss everything La Croix and dogs.

It will also explain La Croix’s potential risks for your dog.

Can Dogs Drink La Croix

Is La Croix safe for dogs?

La Croix in small amounts is unlikely to cause harm to your dog as it doesn’t contain toxic ingredients.

However, anything beyond that may require close monitoring or a quick rush to the vet.

La Croix is a brand of sparkling water, which means that it contains gas, as it’s carbonated.

Carbonation, responsible for making the water bubbly, can give your dog severe gassiness, especially when consumed in large amounts.

Bloat is a potentially life-threatening condition in dogs, which occurs when gas, food, or liquid gets trapped in the stomach and expands.

The condition also causes the dog’s stomach to pressure other organs, which can be fatal if left untreated.

Bloating can progress rapidly, so immediately getting your dog to the vet is imperative.

Symptoms of bloat in dogs

Bloat is one of the most severe emergencies that can kill your dog within hours if left untreated.

Some of the symptoms your dog may experience after drinking La Croix in excess include:

  • Panting
  • Pacing
  • Difficulty getting comfortable when lying down
  • A swollen, hard belly
  • Retching but not able to vomit
  • Pain in the abdomen when touched
  • Stomach sensitive to pressure
  • Pale gums
  • Excessive salivation

If your dog develops any of these symptoms, call your vet immediately, as bloat requires urgent medical care.

Ensure you inform the vet how much La Croix your dog drank and the exact time he took it, as this information will allow your vet to know what treatment to give. 

When does La Croix become dangerous for dogs?

While allowing your dog to drink a tiny amount of La Croix is unlikely to cause irreparable harm, it’s best to avoid it as it’s highly carbonated. 

The bubbles in sparkling drinks like La Croix could cause bloating as the gas piles in your dog’s stomach.

If left untreated, your dog may experience restlessness, retching, abdominal pain, and pacing.

La Croix also contains synthetic ingredients, including limonene, linalool propionate, and linalool which may cause liver failure or liver damage, kidney toxicity, and tumors.

 If your dog gets sick after drinking La Croix, take him to the vet immediately, especially if the symptoms don’t disappear after 24 hours.

You might also need to keep La Croix and all carbonated drinks out of your dog’s reach to prevent further issues.

Is La Croix bad for dogs?

No, a sip or two of La Croix should not be a cause for alarm as most dogs can be able to tolerate it.

However, like all sparkling water, La Croix is carbonated and could lead to a risk of bloat if consumed in excess. 

To minimize the risk of bloat and other potential gastrointestinal complications like stomach upset, you can give your dog regular, filtered water instead of La Croix, ensuring your dog stays hydrated and safe. 

What should I give my dog instead of La Croix?

While allowing your dog one or two licks of La Croix every once in a while may not cause severe health concerns for your pup, it’s best to avoid it altogether.

Your dog should only drink regular, fresh, clean, and filtered water daily to stay hydrated. 

Avoid giving your dog tap water as it can have contaminants, parasites, or toxins in some cases, which can be detrimental to your dog’s health.

Filtered water is not only safe for your dog to drink every day, but it’s also cost-effective compared to La Croix.

Can dogs drink too much La Croix? 

Generally, when the weather is too hot, we drink too much water to stay hydrated.

Similarly, we ensure our fido’s bowl has plenty of fresh water available as it helps cool the body and maintain a stable temperature.

However, while humans and hounds alike must stay hydrated, too much of anything is bad.

If your dog drinks La Croix in excess, it can result in severe symptoms such as water intoxication or even death. 

Symptoms of water intoxication in dogs

Some of the symptoms of water intoxication include:

  • Lethargy
  • Bloating
  • Vomiting
  • Loss of coordination (including stumbling, falling, or staggering)
  • Restlessness
  • Drooling
  • Pale gums
  • Dilated pupils
  • Glazed eyes

When the pressure in your pup’s brain increases and its cells begin to lessen, he may have difficulty breathing, develop seizures, or slip into a coma.

Rush your dog to the vet immediately you notice any of these symptoms, as he may require urgent medical attention.

What is water intoxication?

Although rare, water intoxication, also known as hyponatremia, is a potentially fatal condition that commonly affects dogs that love to play in the water or drink copious amounts of water in one sitting.
 If your dog drinks water in excess and hurriedly, it may suffer this condition with symptoms like lack of coordination, lethargy, nausea, pale gum, and dilated pupils.

In conclusion

Sharing La Croix with your fido occasionally should not be a cause for alarm.

However, ensure that you keep the portions to a sip or two.

As always, consult your vet before offering your dog any human foods or drinks, including La Croix, as a precaution as some dogs may have an adverse reaction depending on their dietary needs.

Megan Turner
Latest posts by Megan Turner (see all)

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published.