Purple grapes are healthy; they are excellent sources of vitamins and minerals with spectacular anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties.
When enjoying a bunch of these delicious treats, you may be tempted to share them with your pup, but can dogs have purple grapes?
Dogs should not have purple grapes; they are toxic and can lead to kidney failure and even death.
Scientists are not certain of the chemical in purple grapes that cause this reaction, but they suspect the mycotoxin, which causes kidney damage on ingestion.
If you are wondering if you can share purple grapes with your four-legged friend, keep reading.
This article separates facts and fiction regarding feeding your dog purple grapes.
Why Are Purple Grapes Toxic to Dogs?
According to ASPCA, there has been no direct answer to why purple grapes are toxic to dogs.
However, scientists have ruled out the following most popular myths about this toxicity:
According to some individuals, the seeds are the reason why purple grapes are toxic to dogs.
However, according to research, this is false since even seedless purple grapes adversely affect dogs.
As a dog parent, many people will advise you to feed your pup organically grown purple grapes, claiming they don’t have harmful effects.
Nonetheless, scientists have studied purple grapes grown with pesticides and those grown organically, and they have concluded that the level of toxicity is the same.
How Many Purple Grapes Can I Give My Dog?
According to the American Kennel Club (AKC), any amount of purple grapes can lead to high toxicity levels.
One factor that determines the level of toxicity that a pup experiences on ingesting purple grapes is body size.
For example, a large dog like a Labrador may not experience any adverse symptoms on taking one or two purple grapes.
However, a small pooch like a Yorkie may have renal failure by just ingesting two grapes.
It’s not clear the number of purple grapes that can cause grape toxicity in dogs, and the factors that make one dog more susceptible than the other remain unknown.
To be safe, keep all purple grapes and their products away from your dog.
Is Purple Grape Seed Extract Harmful to Dogs?
The purple grape seed extract is an excellent antioxidant that supports a dog’s immune system and provides anti-inflammatory effects.
Many individuals have been using it for years as a supplement for dogs with arthritis and skin conditions, without any negative effects.
Before feeding your dog this extract, contact a veterinarian who will advise you on the right amounts and timings.
Another compound that some dog parents use is grapeseed oil, which has no adverse effects.
Instead, it supplies omega-6 fatty acids, improving the pup’s immune function and skin health.
Symptoms of Grape Toxicity
If your dog ingests grapes, you are likely to observe the following symptoms:
Vomiting: Takes place within 2-12 hours of ingestion
Loss of appetite: Takes about 20-48 hours after ingestion.
Weakness and fatigue: Varies on duration but mostly happens 24-48 hours after intake.
Abdominal pain: This happens after about 12 hours of ingestion.
Dehydration: It’s evidenced by dry mouth and nose and panting.
Abdominal tenderness: Is observed after 12 hours of intake.
Extreme thirst: This is shown by an increase in urine production and signifies the initial stages of kidney failure.
What Do I Do If My Dog Eats Purple Grapes?
If your dog ingests purple grapes, the first step is to contact a veterinarian who will guide you on the steps to take.
They may ask you to induce vomiting, but this may not be ideal if your pup is choking or having difficulties breathing.
If you are unsure whether it’s grape ingestion causing the symptoms, let the veterinarian know.
They will analyze your pooch’s vomit, check for the presence of grape pieces, and guide you on the steps to take whether it’s grape toxicity or not.
Are All Kinds of Grapes Harmful to Dogs?
All grapes (red, purple and green) and their products such as currants and raisins are toxic to dogs.
Food products containing grapes like granola are also potential sources of grape toxicity.
However, beverages derived from grapes like wine and grape juice don’t cause grape toxicity to dogs.
What Is the Treatment for Grape Toxicity in Dogs?
Grape toxicity is critical and can cause death if not treated immediately.
The first step in treating this toxicity is reducing the compounds’ absorption by administering charcoal or inducing vomiting.
The veterinarian will recommend diagnostic tests like urinalysis and a complete blood count (CBC) to determine the effect of the toxicity on the kidneys.
Depending on the severity of the symptoms, the vet may hospitalize your pup for close monitoring and intensive care.
To minimize damage to the kidney, they will also administer IV fluid therapy for three to four days.
Another component of grape toxicity that a veterinarian will control is clinical signs like high blood pressure, nausea, and vomiting.
If your pup has no appetite, they will be put on feeding tubes to improve their nutrition status.
How To Prevent Grape Toxicity in Dogs
The best way to prevent your dog from grape toxicity is to store purple grapes and their products away from your dog.
It would also help to educate your family and friends on the risk of feeding dogs purple grapes.
This way, they can avoid feeding them to your pup and keep them in an enclosed place.
Another method is to feed your pup other fruits of similar nutrition value, such as:
When feeding your dog these fruits for the first time, be moderate and monitor the reaction; some pups may be allergic to some of them.
Additionally, if the fruit has seeds like apples, remove them as they can choke your dog.
Though you may love sharing foods with your pup, avoid feeding them purple grapes.
These fruits, though nutritious and sweet, have adverse health effects on your canine friends.
If your dog accidentally ingests grapes, ensure you do close monitoring and contact your vet immediately for guidance.