Nothing beats tucking into a cold Macdonald’s ice cream on a hot summer afternoon.
It’s a good treat for a family, but does that include your furry friend?
Your dog is there drooling and begging to have a taste – which brings the question, can dogs eat Macdonald’s ice cream?
No, dogs can’t eat Macdonald’s ice cream.
Although not toxic, it contains toxic ingredients which can be fatal if dogs consume it in large amounts.
In addition, some of its contents are hard to digest in a dog’s system.
This article gives you a detailed breakdown of the toxic ingredients in Macdonald’s ice cream that are harmful to dogs.
Read on to find out what you should do if your dog feeds on this treat.
Why can’t dogs eat Macdonald’s ice cream?
Although tempting, it’s best to avoid feeding your dog Macdonald’s ice cream.
Below are the reasons for this.
A dog’s body can’t digest dairy.
Macdonald’s ice cream contains milk, and most dogs are lactose intolerant.
When they consume ice cream, they’ll exhibit immediate gastrointestinal issues such as diarrhea, upset stomach, bloating, and vomiting.
Some dogs are also allergic to dairy products like milk.
If they eat Macdonald’s ice cream, they’ll experience itchiness, redness, and skin or ear infections.
High sugar content
The high sugar content in Macdonald’s ice cream isn’t suitable for dog consumption, especially in large amounts.
The vanilla cone, for example, contains 23g of sugar.
Excessive consumption of sugar causes weight gain and eventually obesity in dogs.
It also leads to canine cavities, stomach issues, and long-term health conditions like diabetes, heart disease, and inflammation.
Some Macdonald’s ice cream types contain toxic ingredients for dogs, like their chocolate variety.
Chocolate contains theobromine, a chemical that has similar effects as caffeine and is toxic to dogs.
When dogs consume chocolate, they experience rapid heart rate, panting, restlessness, excessive urination, dehydration, and seizures.
Are there any benefits of feeding your dog Macdonald’s ice cream?
Although it’s a delicious treat, Macdonald’s ice cream has many negative consequences for dogs.
However, does it have any benefits?
No, Macdonald’s ice cream has no benefits to dogs.
Some may argue that the delicious treat makes dogs happy, but it has no physical health benefits.
It’s safer to skip Macdonald’s ice cream for dogs.
Although a few licks may cause no harm, it shouldn’t become routine.
If your dog suffers from obesity or has lactose intolerance and allergies, the conditions will worsen.
What diseases can Macdonald’s ice cream cause to dogs?
Macdonald’s ice cream contains too much sugar, which is harmful when dogs consume it in high quantities.
This causes illnesses in dogs such as:
Consumption of fatty foods like Macdonald’s ice cream, which contains fat and sugar, causes pancreatitis in dogs.
This condition makes the pancreas inflamed, which causes pain to dogs.
Consumption of too much sugar, like the amount in Macdonald’s ice cream, causes obesity in dogs.
Obesity leads to Type 2 diabetes in dogs which damages kidneys, blood vessels, eyes, nerves, and the heart.
When dogs overeat Macdonald’s ice cream, the high sugar content causes tooth decay and cavities.
This consumption of excessive sugar causes acidity in the dog’s teeth, leading to the destruction of the enamel.
Dogs have sensitive stomachs, which are affected by the consumption of sugary foods like the Macdonald’s ice cream.
Sugar makes the bad gut bacteria thrive, thus causing an upset stomach, diarrhea, and vomiting in a dog.
What should you do in case your dog consumes Macdonald’s ice cream?
When your dog consumes Macdonald’s ice cream, especially in large amounts, take the following measures:
Clean its mouth: Macdonald’s ice cream contains sugar that can cause cavities.
Clean the dog’s teeth and mouth with a wet cloth and water to wipe out the sugar that can cause decay and destruction of the enamel.
Observe for symptoms: Monitor the dig for any symptoms and reactions after the consumption.
While doing so, find out the ingredients of the ice cream consumed to determine if they’re toxic.
Consult a veterinarian: Contact a veterinarian with the information about the ice cream, its ingredients, amount consumed, and any notable symptom.
This way, the veterinarian will administer treatment.
Are there safer dog-friendly alternatives to the Macdonald’s varieties?
If you must feed your dog ice cream, consider the safer alternatives.
They are easy to prepare, and you can make them at home. These include:
Homemade banana ice cream: Blend bananas and freeze them to form cold, tasty ice cream.
You can add pumpkin, apples, or dog-friendly peanut butter to add flavor.
Ice Pops: Freeze applesauce or pumpkin puree using silicone molds to make dog-friendly ice pops.
Cantaloupe ice cream: To make this ice cream, blend chunks of frozen cantaloupe with coconut milk to form a smooth consistency.
Tropical ice cream: This simple recipe involves mixing frozen pineapple, mango, and coconut milk in a food processor to your desired consistency.
The above ice creams are healthy since they contain no harmful ingredients to dogs.
Unlike Macdonald’s ice cream, they contain fruits that give dogs fructose, a natural sugar.
They are good sources of carotenoids and Vitamins A and C for dogs, which are essential nutrients.
Does Macdonald’s ice cream contain xylitol?
Xylitol is a toxic sugar substitute used as an ingredient in ice cream.
It’s toxic and can cause death to dogs.
Contrary to some viral Facebook posts, Macdonald’s ice cream contains no xylitol.
Can Macdonald’s ice cream kill dogs?
McDonald’s ice cream contains ingredients like chocolate and sugar, which are toxic to dogs.
When dogs consume high amounts of these contents without immediate treatment from a veterinarian, they can die from poisoning.
However yummy, avoid feeding your dog Macdonald’s ice cream.
If you must, consider preparing dog-friendly alternatives without using ingredients that can be harmful for dog consumption.
If your dog eats Macdonald’s ice cream, especially if it has underlying health conditions, seek immediate help from a veterinarian.
Some ingredients like chocolate and too much sugar in the ice cream are too toxic and can be fatal to dogs in case of delayed treatment.