Tangy, crunchy, and super hydrating, dill pickle chips are delicious for sandwiches and other snacks.
While these pickles may be a nutritious treat for you to snack on now and then, can the same be said for your pup?
Can dogs eat dill pickle chips?
Dill pickle chips are brined in excess salt and vinegar that may be potentially harmful to dogs as it may result in sodium ion poisoning.
They also include garlic cloves that can damage your dog’s red blood cells resulting in hemolytic anemia.
This article will discuss why you shouldn’t feed your dog dill pickle chips.
It will also explain what you should do if your dog accidentally eats dill pickle chips.
Are dill pickle chips bad for dogs?
If your dog eats even a small amount of dill pickle chips, he may get sick as some of the ingredients used in the pickling process can be dangerous for dogs.
These ingredients include vinegar, garlic cloves, peppercorns, sea salt, and mustard seeds.
While some of these ingredients may not be toxic for dogs, others like garlic, sugar, and sea salt may be lethal for them, especially if consumed regularly.
Garlic contains thiosulfate that can damage your dog’s red blood cells, resulting in long-term health conditions like hemolytic anemia.
Salt is also another problematic ingredient as it has a high sodium content that can cause dehydration or, worse, high blood pressure.
Your pup may also experience sodium ion poisoning, whose symptoms may include difficulty urinating, diarrhea, vomiting, fever, excessive thirst, seizures, and tremors.
The sugar also used as part of the pickling process can pose several risks to your dog, including unnecessary weight gain that may result in issues like obesity, diabetes, and cardiovascular diseases.
The sugar levels in dill pickle chips can spike your dog’s blood sugar levels, especially if he already has diabetes.
Ensure that dill pickle chips are well out of your dog’s reach to avoid exposing him to more risks.
What to do if your dog eats dill pickle chips
While dill pickles, in general, may contain a handful of healthy nutrients that may be beneficial for your dog, it’s best to avoid them entirely.
Along with the good stuff, dill pickle chips may include some toxic ingredients like high sodium content and garlic that can cause salt poisoning or anemia.
If your dog took one dill pickle chip, he might not suffer irreparable harm.
Expect symptoms like vomiting, diarrhea, and stomach upsets, but it should be self-limiting.
However, if your dog managed to steal a whole jar, you should:
- Give plenty of water – Dill pickle chips have a high sodium content which may cause excessive thirst or result in a condition called sodium toxicity. Ensure your dog has access to clean drinking water
- Monitor your dog closely – Keep an eye out for signs like lack of coordination, unrest, seizures, and tremors or sickness. If your dog presents these symptoms over the next couple of days, call your vet for advice
- Call your vet immediately – If your dog is smaller in size or a puppy, call the vet immediately after ingesting as he may be at more risk of getting sick
- Check the product label – If your dog took the store-bought kind, check out the product ingredient label to ensure there aren’t other toxic ingredients. For example, some dill pickle chips may include a higher concentration of garlic or onions that can be poisonous to dogs
- Take the product label to your vet – Take the product ingredient label to the vet if your dog becomes ill. This will allow your vet to get a better idea of how many toxins your dog has ingested
What happens if your dog eats dill pickle chips?
The side effects of your dog eating dill pickle chips will depend on the ingredients, the amount ingested, your dog’s age and size, and overall health.
If your dog eats too many dill pickle chips, your dog can show worrying symptoms which may turn lethal if left untreated.
These symptoms may include diarrhea, vomiting, difficulty in urinating, fever, excessive thirst, seizures, and tremors.
In some cases, especially when the dill pickle recipe includes onion and garlic, other symptoms like lethargy and excessive salivation might occur.
If your dog has kidney issues and eats even a tiny bit of dill pickle chips, consult your vet immediately for further instructions.
Are dill pickle chips safe for dogs to eat?
Dill pickle chips in minimal amounts might benefit your dog as they have a high fiber and water content that aids in digestion.
However, it’s always possible to feed your dog too many toxins if you allow your dog to consume large amounts regularly.
Generally, dill pickle chips are safe if they’re plain and your dog’s health is perfect.
Plain pickles are a low-calorie snack with high levels of vitamin A, K, C, and B6 and are a good source of calcium.
Consider giving plain pickle chips to your dog as a treat occasionally, just not in large quantities.
Ensure to cut the pickle into bite-size pieces to prevent choking.
Which pickle spices are harmful to dogs?
While some of the spices used to intensify the flavor of dill pickle chips are safe, some are not.
For example, onions, garlic, and peppers are all toxic ingredients for dogs and should be avoided even in small amounts as they may result in stomach upset and anemia.
Other spices like cinnamon and cloves, especially in large amounts, aren’t entirely safe for dogs but are not likely to be lethal either.
Some dill pickle chips recipes call for nutmeg as a flavoring agent.
Dill pickle chips containing nutmeg should not be fed to dogs, even in small amounts, as they can cause abdominal pain or disorientation.
Consult your vet before sharing human foods with your fido, including dill pickle chips.
There are other nutritious foods you can feed your dog instead of dill pickle chips that may contribute to his overall health.