What Happens If My Dog Eats A Chocolate Chip?

Do you know what happens when a chocolate chip falls into a dog’s mouth?

The answer is simple: It makes them sick.

Chocolate is not good for dogs.

In fact, it’s toxic to them.

And yes, even though they might look cute while chewing on their treats, they could get seriously ill if they eat too many of them.

Here’s everything you need to know about the dangers of chocolate for dogs.

What are the dangers of chocolate for dogs?

As with most things that make people, chocolate contains compounds that have health benefits and also cause harm.

Chocolate itself is made up of cocoa butter, sugar, milk, and cocoa powder, which are all safe for dogs to consume.

However, there are also several harmful substances that are found in chocolate.

These include caffeine, theobromine (a stimulant), phenylethylamine (which causes a “runner’s high”), and tryptophan (an amino acid).

When these chemicals enter the bloodstream, they affect different parts of the body and often lead to unpleasant side effects.

The more chocolate someone eats, the greater the risk of experiencing these side effects.

Here are some of the most common ones:

  • Increased heart rate
  • Vomiting
  • Diarrhea
  • Seizures
  • Bloodshot eyes
  • Muscle tremors
  • Constipation
  • Hyperactivity
  • Dizziness
  • Lethargy
  • Urination problems
  • Nasal discharge
  • Hives
  • Sensitivity to light
  • Fainting spells
  • Difficulty breathing
  • Confusion
  • Death

How do dogs react to too much chocolate?

Just like people, dogs can become very nauseated by eating too much chocolate.

However, unlike people, they are unable to vomit out the excess chocolate.

Instead, they will continue to feel extremely sick and may start to develop other symptoms such as:

  • Vomiting
  • Diarrhea
  • Seizures
  • Bloodshot eyes
  • Muscle tremors
  • Constipation
  • Hyperactivity
  • Dizziness
  • Urination problems
  • Nasal discharge
  • Hives
  • Sensitivity to light
  • Fainting spells
  • Confusion
  • Death

What are the symptoms of chocolate poisoning in dogs?

When a dog eats chocolate, it has an immediate reaction that causes vomiting, diarrhea, and increased thirst.

In some cases, the effects of chocolate ingestion may be more severe than that.

Dogs who ingest large amounts of chocolate will also develop abdominal pain, lethargy, weakness, seizures, and tremors.

They may even go into shock or suffer from cardiac arrest.

While these symptoms are common with other types of poisonings, they are also caused by chocolate.

See also  Why Does My Dog Lean On My Other Dog ?

As such, they should not be ignored.

The sooner you call your vet, the better.

If you have any doubt whether your pet ate chocolate, take the following steps to confirm its identity:

  • Look for chocolate fragments or powder in their vomit.
  • Check their poop for traces of chocolate.
  • Test the air inside the house with a carbon monoxide detector.
  • Ask your veterinarian to test the blood sample for evidence of cyanide toxicity.

How much chocolate is dangerous for dogs?

There are two types of chocolate that are not safe for dogs: dark chocolate and unsweetened cocoa powder.

The former contains high amounts of caffeine, which can cause serious health problems like tremors, seizures, or even death.

Unsweetened cocoa powder has been linked to kidney failure, so it should also never be given to dogs who have kidney disease.

If your dog eats a lot of these chocolates, they will probably vomit soon after eating them, as well as become very thirsty.

Afterward, they might develop diarrhea.

They may also experience tremors, loss of coordination, seizures, muscle spasms, coma, and even death.

What kind of chocolate is most dangerous for dogs?

The best-selling chocolates in America are the ones that contain the highest levels of cocoa butter, such as Dove Dark Chocolate Chips and Nestlé Crunchy Chunk.

These types of chocolate are also high in sugar, which means they have the potential to cause serious health issues for dogs.

But there are other kinds of chocolate out there that are just as bad for dogs.

The same goes for candy bars.

When you think of “dangerous” chocolate for dogs, you probably imagine something like Hershey’s Kisses or Reese’s Peanut Butter Cups.

But these candies aren’t safe either—they actually have more sugar than some of the better-known brands of chocolate chips.

Instead, the safest thing to feed your dog is dark chocolate with no added sugars.

This includes things like Lindt 70% Dark Chocolate.

That said, it’s important to note that some dark chocolates contain milk solids.

These are harmless, but they can still make dogs feel sick if they consume too many of them.

In addition to chocolate, there are other foods that can be harmful to dogs.

They include grapes, raisins, onions, garlic, and caffeine, which is found in coffee, tea, sodas, and energy drinks.

(Just because something is natural doesn’t mean it’s good for your pet.)

It’s also important to remember that certain medications can be harmful to animals.

Some examples include acetaminophen, ibuprofen, and aspirin.

While these drugs are often prescribed for humans, they can be toxic to pets if they’re taken in large doses or mixed together with other medications.

See also  Can Dogs Eat Frozen Yogurt? 
What Happens If My Dog Eats A Chocolate Chip

What should I do if my dog eats chocolate?

If your dog eats chocolate, you have two choices: You can either give them something else or remove it from their diet completely.

You don’t want your dog to get sick, so you’ll want to make sure that you take the right steps in order to keep them safe.

The best way to avoid this problem is to keep your dog away from chocolate altogether.

The other option is to let them have some chocolate every once in awhile, but only in small amounts.

Just keep in mind that it will still be bad for them.

How can I prevent my dog from eating chocolate?

There are several ways you can help keep your dog away from chocolate.

The first thing you should do is make sure that there is no chocolate in sight or reach when you are out with your pet.

This includes any candy, cookies, or other treats that have chocolate in them.

You should also take extra precautions around Halloween and other holidays where people often hand out chocolate-covered treats to trick-or-treaters.

You should also never leave chocolate out in your home.

Not only will this attract your dog like moths to light, but chocolate tastes great to dogs.

If you want to keep them out of trouble, you need to keep all chocolate off of the countertops, in cabinets, and anywhere else where your dog has access to it.

Finally, you should consider putting some tasty treats in a different location that your dog cannot reach or see.

For example, you can put some cheese on a high shelf so that your dog can’t get to it, but he can still smell it.

Or you can hide some yummy cheese inside another treat.

Just make sure that whatever you choose to put up high enough that the dog cannot get at it without jumping.

If you’re worried about your dog getting sick because she ate something bad, you can bring her to the vet immediately.

They can run tests to find out what made her sick and how to prevent it in the future.

What are some alternative foods I can give my dog?

If you want to avoid giving your dog food that will make him or her sick, there are plenty of alternatives out there.

You just have to learn what ingredients to avoid.

Here are the top five things to steer clear of in dog food:


See also  Why Does My Dog Lick His Tail ?

Dried fruits



Raw meat

Now let’s take a closer look at each one of those items.

1. Nuts

Most nuts are high in fat and calories, which means they’re bad for most dogs.

If your dog has a nut allergy, however, he or she may still eat them.

But if you don’t think your pet has an issue with them, keep them away from your dog anyway.

2. Dried Fruits

Dried fruits like raisins, prunes, and dates contain a lot of sugar.

Not only that, they also contain a lot of fiber, which isn’t good for dogs either.

They should stick to fresh fruit instead.

3. Shellfish

Shellfish are rich in protein, but they can cause severe gastrointestinal issues for dogs.

They can sometimes lead to liver failure and kidney damage.

4. Chocolate

Chewy chocolates and other types of chocolate aren’t good for dogs.

Even regular milk chocolate can be harmful to them because it contains a chemical called

Theobromine is found in cocoa beans and is responsible for the “chocolate” taste of the chocolate

Besides making your dog sick, chocolate can also lead to behavioral problems.

Some dogs become aggressive after consuming chocolate.

5. Raw Meat

Some dogs love raw meat.

But it’s not always healthy for them.

Raw meats can carry bacteria and parasites that can cause illness and disease.

Plus, they can increase your dog’s risk of developing cancer.

Megan Turner

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *