Quick Answer: What Should I Do If My Dog Ate Two Grapes?

As a pet owner you probably know that giving your canine companion grapes is an absolute no no. You might wonder why you should not give your dogs grapes or what you should do if your dog eats any number of grapes.

Well, in this article, we are going to answer those questions and much more.

So, without further ado, let’s get started.

Quick Answer: What Should I Do If My Dog Ate Two Grapes?

How Long Before a Dog Gets Sick After Eating Grapes?

A dog that eats grapes will probably feel fine for the next few hours, and then his body will start to react to the grape juice in his system. The first sign of trouble is vomiting.

If your dog vomits after eating two or more whole grapes this could be an indication of poisoning. Vomiting can also be caused by other things, so it’s important to get him checked out if he seems sick.

What are the Symptoms of Grape Poisoning?

The symptoms of grape poisoning in dogs are similar to those seen in humans who have consumed large amounts of alcohol.

These include nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, abdominal pain, weakness, dizziness, headache, confusion, and even seizures. Other common signs of poisoning include decreased urination and increased thirst.

Will Your Dog Die if they Eat Two Grapes?

No, but dogs are generally very good at recovering from most illnesses, even serious ones like kidney disease. But there are some rare cases where a dog dies because of something as simple as eating too many grapes.

This happens when a dog ingests poisonous substances that cause their blood sugar level to drop, which can lead to organ failure and death. Are There Any Other Signs of Grape Poisoning?

Yes! Here are four signs you should watch out for:

  • Sudden collapse, weakness or lethargy (especially if accompanied by diarrhea)
  • Rapid breathing
  • Drooling
  • Difficulty swallowing

If any of these symptoms occur, call your vet right away.

How Many Grapes will Kill a Dog?

The amount of poison needed to kill a dog depends on a number of factors, including size, weight and breed.

Some dogs eat only one or two grapes without showing any ill effects, while others may experience severe gastrointestinal distress within seconds of eating them.

It’s best not to let a dog eat anything until you know how much he can handle safely.

What Should You Do if Your Dog Eats Grapes?

If you have any suspicions that your dog has eaten grapes or raisins you will need to get in contact with your vet so that they can tell you what to do or if you need to bring your pet into the clinic where they can get the treatment they need.

In some cases, a veterinarian may want to perform a blood test to see if your pet has ingested any sort of toxic substance.

Can a Dog Live After Eating Grapes?

Some dogs are able to eat grapes and be totally fine, but for the most part if a dog eats grapes they could suffer some nasty side effects and even die.

Grapes, raisins, and even grape juice are toxic for dogs and may cause acute kidney failure about 72 hours after they have been ingested. This could happen quicker or slower if grape poisoning is left untreated.

How Long Before a Dog Dies After Eating Grapes?

Grapes can cause kidney failure in dogs regardless of what format they are eaten in. Juice, raisins, or whole grapes, after 72 hours after ingestion your dog may die if they eat grapes.

Should You Be Worried if Your Dog Ate One Grape?

It takes at least a half hour for a grape to go through a dog’s digestive tract, and therefore it would take longer than that before your dog starts experiencing negative side effects.

Quick Answer: What Should I Do If My Dog Ate Two Grapes?

Also, you should keep in mind that grapes contain potassium oxalate, which helps prevent dangerous levels of calcium build up in the bloodstream.

If your dog eats just one grape, he won’t likely develop problems. However, if you see him having diarrhea or vomiting after eating grapes, you should immediately call your veterinarian.

How Do You Make Your Dog Throw Up After Eating Grapes?

If your dog has eaten grapes, the best thing you can do is try to get them to throw it back up before the grapes make it through the digestive tract. But, how do you get your dog to throw up?

Well, if you give them a tablespoon of hydrogen peroxide orally they should throw up in the next five to ten minutes. When giving your dog hydrogen peroxide you must take care not to give your canine companion too much.

If you are not confident, it would be a good idea to call the vet so that they can guide you on exactly what you can do or how much you should give them.

In general however, it is recommended that you give one teaspoon (or 5mls) for every ten pounds of body weight. If your dog does not vomit in fifteen minutes it is generally safe to give them one more dose.

Will Three Raisins Kill a Dog?

Okay, to answer this question, we need to explore what a potentially fatal dose would look like.

The long and show of it would be that three raisins could be toxic for a puppy that weighs 2.5 pounds. But for a dog that is ten pounds it would take twelve grapes for a deadly dose.

What Makes Grapes Toxic for Dogs?

Why are grapes toxic for our canine companions? It is a question we have been asking for many years now.

The answer we have arrived at is that the tartaric acid in grapes, raisins, and sultanas is the culprit in making our furry friends ill.

Tartaric acid has been known to cause vomiting, increased thirst, diarrhea and even kidney damage or kidney failure. The reason it has been so hard to pin down exactly why grapes are toxic to dogs is because not all dogs react the same way.

While some only suffered from mild symptoms others reacted very badly and even died.

Some people assume that this is case there are different levels of tartaric acid in different kinds of grapes. This may depend on the type, the location it was grown or even how ripe the grape was.

What Other Foods are Toxic to Dogs?

Grapes aren’t the only food that can harm a dog. Here are other foods that are toxic to dogs and that you should avoid feeding your pets. Below you can see a short list of the most toxic foods for dogs:

  • Xylitol – This sweetener can cause your dog’s blood sugar to drop dangerously low and can even result in liver failure.
  • Avocado – The persin in avocado which can cause diarrhea in dogs. But, not only the fruit is dangerous, the bark leaves and seed should be avoided too.
  • Onions & Garlic – Onions and garlic, in any form, is dangerous to dogs as it destroys the red blood cells in their body and can cause anemia.
  • Caffeine – Caffeine can be fatal for dogs. As such, make sure that your dog does not consume anything that has traces of caffeine in it.
  • Chocolate – Chocolate can be deadly for dogs, a dog can have seizures and other heart issues as a result of ingesting chocolate which may result in death.

Final Thoughts

That is all for this article, we hope that you have enjoyed learning about what to do if your dog eats two grapes and the myriad of questions we have answered here.

Even if your dog begs for food, you must not give in. As a responsible pet parent you must not relent. Your dog is your responsibility, and it is up to you to make sure that they do not come to any harm.

Megan Turner
Latest posts by Megan Turner (see all)