My first encounter with chili left me with teary eyes, coughing uncontrollably, sneezing, and feeling uncomfortable.
I wondered if chili would have a similar effect on my dog.
Before sharing the chili-infused meal with my dog, I had to conduct thorough research, and this is what I found.
Can I give my dog chili?
No, you shouldn’t give chili to your dog.
Chili contains compounds such as capsaicin and solanine, which, when consumed in large amounts, cause stomach upsets and interfere with the digestive system.
These enzymes are responsible for the burning sensation that fills the dog’s mouth and the digestive tract.
Chili comes in different forms, including the powdered option, which could harbor other additives such as garlic and onions that aren’t suitable for dogs.
Dogs have around 1700 taste buds, which are way lower than humans, who have around 9000.
This article explores a dog’s reaction after tasting chili and the effects of sharing too much chili.
Why You Shouldn’t Encourage Your Dog to Eat Chili
Chili is not toxic to your dog, but too much of it can have devastating effects, and here’s why:
- Causes Irritation
The capsaicin enzyme in chili causes the dog to have a burning sensation that runs from the mouth down to the entire digestive tract.
It’s the same feeling you get when you chew on a piece of plain chili pepper, the irritation you get in your mouth that forces you to rush for a glass of water is how the dog feels.
The dog gets agitated from the irritation and gets restless; it will bark out loud in a show of dissatisfaction.
The heat that the chili causes in the digestive system lead to an increase in temperature.
Naturally, the body reacts and tries to cool off by sweating, which causes dehydration.
If your dog feeds on too much chili, the burning sensation will trigger the dog’s thirst, and when the buddy doesn’t access water in good time, then dehydration occurs.
Dehydration in dogs can make their eyes sunken, the gums dry up, and saliva becomes pasty.
As a result, the dog will lose appetite and develop difficulty breathing.
To avoid these challenges, it’s better not to share the chili with your doggie.
- Gastrointestinal Upset
Sharing chili with your dog can trigger gastrointestinal upsets.
The dog will show signs of discomfort in their abdomen as it writhes in pain.
Some of the signs of a gastrointestinal upset include:
- Increased rate of flatulence
- Difficulty in defecating
- Abdominal pain
- Lack of appetite
- Low motivation
- Excessive drooling
- Foamy mouth
Abdominal pains make the dog uncomfortable, and with all the symptoms, it loses the vigor and zeal to play around.
The burning sensation, heavy panting, sweaty face and overall discomfort that comes with the dog eating chili increases the dog’s heart rate, which translates to hypertension.
Increased temperatures make the dog panic, and the shock also increases its heart rate.
Unfortunately, this also leads to skin irritation causing rashes as the dog rubs the face with its paws that held the chili.
What Should I do After My Dog Feeds on Too Much Chili?
You first need to identify the type of chili your dog consumed.
Find out if it was raw chili pepper, powdered pepper or spicy food. It’s from this point you evaluate how to tackle the situation.
Implement these strategies to handle the situation:
- Give the Dog Plenty of Water
Water will help cool down the burning sensation and avert the effects of dehydration from feeding on chili.
Ensure the water is clean, cold, and fresh, as the dog will be bent on consuming too much water at this time.
If the water is not pure, you could come from handling the chili effect to tackling dirty water infections.
- Share Some Yogurt
When tackling the chili situation, you’ll be looking to calm the burning sensation that irritates the dog as fast as possible.
If you can access cool yogurt, put it in a bowl and share it with the dog, it will go a long way in providing the dog with the much-needed calming effect.
Preferably share plain yogurt as the dog may not oblige to feed on a flavored option.
- Feed the Dog Bland Meals
After the chili episode, avoid feeding the dog on spicy meals that can cause a recurrence of chili effects.
Bland meals will help the dog recover from the reeling effects of chili.
A dog will lose appetite after feeding on chili as it tends to think all other meals will be spicy.
To lift their spirits and boost their appetite, feed the dogs bland meals that are easy to digest.
Is There a Need to Go to the Vet After My Dog Ate Chili?
The decision to consult the vet will be influenced by how well the dog responds to your home remedy and severity of the effects.
For instance, if the dog gets all lethargic, refuses to feed, and develops a fever that won’t come down even after sharing some water, then you need to seek the services of a vet.
You need to have the dog evaluated by the vet if the chili was in the form of chili powder, as this usually carries other additives that can harm the dog.
For example, the powdered option could have had garlic and onions as part of the ingredients, which are disastrous for most dogs.
Chilis are not life-threatening for the dog, but other additives in the spicy meals could have devastating effects.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can my dog eat canned chili?
No, your dog shouldn’t eat canned chili because apart from the capsaicin and solanine enzymes, it has preservatives and salts to keep them fresh.
Unfortunately, these salts and preservatives can have devastating effects on the dog.
Can I feed my dog chili con carne?
No, don’t feed your dog chili con carne; It contains other ingredients such as garlic, cloves and onions, which can affect the dog adversely.
If your dog accidentally consumed only a few pieces of chili, the effects wouldn’t be very adverse.
Too much of the chili, however, will hurt the dog and cause discomfort.
After administering first aid to the dog, where you give the dog enough water, observe it for some time and if the symptoms persist, consult the vet.