There’s no better feeling than snacking on a cold grape popsicle as you bask in the sun, and the high chances are that your pup will be eyeing this treat too.
Although this snack will cool their bodies, it’s only fitting to question if they are safe for them or not.
Your dog’s well-being is more important than giving in to their pleadings.
So can dogs eat grape popsicles?
These popsicles contain grape extracts which are harmful to dogs even when taken within limits.
They also have high amounts of sugar, which cause diabetes in dogs.
Therefore, it is best to avoid feeding your pooch these treats.
This article discusses everything you need to know before letting your dog enjoy this treat and alternative snacks for them to enjoy when it’s hot.
What makes grape popsicles toxic for dogs
Grapes extracts are toxic to all dogs regardless of their age, sex or breed.
These fruits contain flavonoids, monosaccharides, and tannins, which dogs can’t metabolize.
Thus, the ingestion of these popsicles leads to kidney damage in canines which can be fatal in most cases.
Apart from water, most popsicles are loaded with a lot of sugar which could cause diabetes in dogs.
Symptoms of diabetes in dogs include:
- Weight loss
- Frequent urination
- Vision loss
- Increased thirst and hunger
Most popsicles are made with artificial sweeteners like xylitol to enhance their taste.
Xylitol causes low blood sugar levels and liver failure in these canines when ingested in high amounts.
Zero nutritional value
Aside from this treat containing harmful ingredients, it also has no beneficial nutrients for your dog.
Hence their consumption is useless and will only lead to health complications.
Popsicle sticks are made with treated wood, meaning that your dog will not be able to digest them.
Secondly, swallowing them whole could lead to suffocation or death.
These sticks may also scratch the insides of dogs’ digestive systems, causing unpredictable damage.
In this regard, contact the vet immediately if your four-legged friend swallows a popsicle stick.
What happens if my dog eats grape popsicles?
The symptoms of grape popsicle poisoning start showing 24 hours after consumption, and the first signs include loss of appetite and lethargy.
However, the following symptoms will be visible after 48 hours.
- Increased thirst and urination
- Mouth ulcers
What to do if dogs eat grape popsicles
If your dog eats a grape popsicle by mistake or you suspect they might have, rush them to the vet immediately.
Even the slightest amount of grape extract causes detrimental effects in dogs, and getting them to the clinic sooner will increase their chances of survival.
The vet might recommend induced vomiting in most cases.
However, it is not advisable to do so if your pup is in shock or struggling to breathe.
Alternative healthy treats to grape popsicles
If your dog has been a good boy and deserves a cold treat on a hot Saturday afternoon, you can opt for healthier alternatives to grape popsicles.
These may include:
Banana and peanut butter popsicles
Bananas will enhance your dog’s digestive system, boost their immune system, promote healthy bone and muscle development and increase their coat appearance.
Below is a recipe for making a banana popsicle for your pup.
- Dog safe yogurt or any non-dairy replacement
- Dog-friendly peanut butter
- Blend all the ingredients together until smooth
- Pour the blend into paper cups or ice cubes trays.
- Remove the popsicles and serve
Cantaloupe ice cream
Aside from cantaloupes being high in water concentration and low in calories, this beautiful fruit contains folate, potassium, and vitamins B6, A, and C, which are essential for dogs.
Here is how to include it in your furry friend’s meal as a cold treat.
- Dog-friendly yogurt
- Ripe cantaloupe
- Cut melon in quarters
- Remove seeds and skin
- Freeze the melon pieces for two hours
- Blend the frozen melon chunks with yogurt
- Freeze mixture and serve
Berry peanut butter popsicle
Berries are healthy treats for all dogs because they are low in sugar.
Additionally, they contain antioxidants, fiber, and vitamins which promote your dog’s overall health.
Below is a recipe for dogs’ cold berry popsicles.
- Milk or water; if your dog is lactose intolerant
- Dog safe yogurt
- Dog-friendly peanut butter
- Blend the ingredients together
- Pour the mixture into an ice cube tray or mold
- Freeze for two hours and serve
Can my dog eat green grapes?
Dogs cannot eat green grapes.
Whether seedless, dried, cooked, fresh, or peeled, all grapes put your dog at risk of contracting kidney damage.
Can my dog eat grape leaves?
Dogs are not allowed to ingest grape leaves as they contain a toxic compound known as cyanide.
The symptoms of cyanide poisoning in these canines include:
- Loss of consciousness
Can my dog eat coconut popsicles?
Dogs can eat coconut popsicles but in moderation.
The coconut extracts in these snacks improve their skin, reduce inflammation, and will boost your dog’s immune system.
However, excess intake of these treats could lead to gastrointestinal problems and bloating.
Can one grape harm my dog?
One grape could lead to dire consequences in dogs.
This is because even the slightest amount of this fruit contains compounds your pup’s system can’t metabolize like monosaccharides, thus lethal.
Can my elderly dog eat grape popsicles?
Under no circumstance should elderly dogs eat grape popsicles.
Most of these dogs suffer from critical health conditions and should best stay away from foods with lots of sugars like these.
Can dogs eat ice cream popsicles?
Dogs should not indulge in these treats as they are highly concentrated with sugar, leading to stomach upsets and diabetes in extreme cases.
To wrap up
Although plain popsicles are not toxic and help hydrate your pup, the grape flavor is harmful and leads to extreme health conditions in dogs.
Always opt for healthy alternatives like banana and cantaloupe popsicles to keep your dog healthy and hydrated on hot days.