Can Dogs Eat Seedless Grapes?

So you’ve found ripe seedless grapes in your garden, picked some, and started enjoying.

Your fur friend who had accompanied you for that walk stares in anticipation for a bite.

You start wondering if you can offer them some.

After all, its seedless grapes can’t be a danger.  

So, can dogs eat seedless grapes?

No.

All grape varieties are toxic to dogs, green or purple, seedless or seeded.

Besides being lethal, seedless grapes have increased sugar levels dangerous for canines in large quantities.

Although it’s unclear what causes the toxicity, even one grape is enough to cause acute kidney failure in some dogs.

Dogs are known to eat about anything and everything, but do seedless grapes pose that much danger?

Read on to find out.

Can Dogs Eat Seedless Grapes

Are seedless grapes bad for dogs?

Seedless grapes are an excellent choice for humans—they’re low-calorie, high in vitamins, and a good source of antioxidants.

Unfortunately, canines can’t enjoy these nutritious benefits; this is why;

High sugars

Seedless grapes are loaded with sugars with a cup containing about 24 grams.

Besides the high levels, these sugars are complex for your dog’s digestive system to process, risking obesity, dental cavities, diabetes, and worse pancreatitis.

These natural sugars can also cause a spike in blood glucose; thus, it’s vital to feed canines sugary fruits in moderated quantities for maximum benefits.

Allergies

Canines may react differently when introduced to something outside of their regular diet.

Some dogs may develop sensitivities.

Start with small amounts, observe their reactions and gradually increase the portions.

Allergic reactions to seedless grapes may manifest;

  • Poor appetite
  • Nausea and vomiting
  • Excess paw and ear licking
  • Face swellings
  • Hot spots
  • Excess itching and skin rashes

Digestive discomforts

Ingesting many seedless grapes escalates acidity levels in both canines and humans, causing digestive irritations, especially in dogs with sensitive stomachs.

Seedless grapes are linked to abdominal discomforts and appendicitis if consumed frequently in large amounts.

Moreover, the high sugar and insoluble fiber in seedless grapes can interfere with digestive functioning, leading to loss of stool or diarrhea in canines.

Grape poisoning

Grapes and products containing grapes or raisins are highly lethal to canines, even in tiny amounts.

Research is yet to pinpoint the exact toxic element in grapes, but even one piece can make your fur friend extremely sick.

The toxicity levels of grapes differ depending on the dog breed.

Some react mildly after ingesting a few pieces; for others, even a bite is enough to cause poisoning.

The onset of symptoms can occur immediately after ingestion or within 12 to 24 hours.

Symptoms of grape toxicity include;

  • Poor appetite
  • Abdominal pains
  • Foul breath
  • Oral ulcers
  • Vomiting and diarrhea
  • Lethargy
  • Tremors, seizures, or even coma

Should I be worried if my dog ate one seedless grape?

The toxic number of seedless grapes is still unknown, and it doesn’t affect all canines the same.

Some dogs will ingest one piece and get acute kidney failure in 72 hours.

Others will develop slight stomach irritations, while others won’t even be affected.

Regardless, all grape varieties are lethal to dogs and since you’re not sure of their reaction, avoid offering them.  

If your dog accidentally ate some grapes, check for poisoning signs like lethargy, vomiting, and abdominal distress.

Contact your vet rig away if you suspect your dog ingested seedless grapes, even though they don’t show any signs.

The toxicity levels can worsen in a short span.  

What’s the treatment for grape poisoning in dogs?

Depending on the timelines, a vet may induce vomiting to eliminate the toxins if the dog ingests grapes within a short period—maybe 3 hours.

Activated charcoal on an empty stomach will help bind the toxins preventing further absorption and thus limiting kidney damage.

Urinalysis and blood work would follow to determine and assess kidney functioning and the extent of the damage.

Fluid therapy is necessary to prevent further complications if the kidneys are acutely damaged.

Are other types of grapes safe for dogs?

No, dogs should never eat grapes.

Grapes, whichever kind (green or purple), are highly lethal to canines.

Although research is yet to ascertain the exact toxic substance, puppies cannot metabolize tannins, flavonoids, and monosaccharides found in grapes.

Even one grape can make a dog sick regardless of its size, weight, age, and general health condition—though the symptoms will be mild.

However, eating grapes, especially in large amounts, can result in kidney failure in dogs.

Are grape seeds toxic to dogs?

Small breeds may choke on the seeds, causing injuries in their throats and leading to intestinal obstruction.

The seeds are also difficult for a dog’s digestive system to break down, risking stomach irritations.

Grape seeds extract has been used to treat arthritis in dogs for decades without side effects.

The potent antioxidants have anti-inflammatory properties beneficial for canines with skin allergies and also aid in strengthening the immune system.

Although your dog can’t enjoy the benefits of a whole seedless grape, the seed extract might cover some nutrients.

However, consult your vet before trying this on your pet to avoid complications.

What other common foods and fruits are toxic to dogs?

Some food for human consumption is highly toxic to canines.

When purchasing food for your dog, check the labels for harmful ingredients to avoid putting your pet at risk of poisoning or health complications.

Some of these could significantly affect your canines, even in small amounts.

  • Some of these foods include;
  • Spices: Onions, garlic.
  • Nuts: Macadamia, cashew nuts, walnuts, pecan.
  • Additives: Cocoa, raisins, chocolate.

Let’s wrap it up

Seedless grapes are not necessarily unhealthy for dogs to eat, but they are toxic to them.

No amount of grape-containing products are considered safe for dogs; however, grape seed extract is an inflammation reliever for dogs with arthritis.

The greatest threat is grape poisoning which can result in kidney failure and sudden death in canines.

Now, with all the details on dogs and seedless grapes, be cautious the next time you’re eating grapes and store them carefully to avoid accidents.

Megan Turner
Latest posts by Megan Turner (see all)

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published.