Can Dogs Eat Pop-Tarts? Why You Should Hide Pop-Tarts From Your Dog

If you’re a dog lover, you already know how they get excited over sweet treats. 

It’s a struggle to enjoy pop-tarts with your furry best friend just watching.

Not only can eating pop-tarts contribute to an allergic reaction, but frequent consumption causes serious health problems like diabetes and arthritis for your furry friend.

So, can dogs eat pop-tarts? No.

Pop-tarts contain ingredients with many sugars, highly processed wheat flour, coloring, and artificial flavoring, which are harmful to dogs.

These can easily trigger sickness if regularly consumed.

Chocolate-flavored pop-tarts contain chocolate which is toxic to most dogs and causes allergic reactions that can be fatal.

Instead, substitute with healthy treats like veggies and raw fruits. 

This article will discuss the ingredients in a pop-tart, the different flavors, and the healthy substitutes available. 

What are pop-tarts?

Pop-tarts are a popular light snack globally.


They are made of wheat and sugary fillings sealed between two thin, rectangular pastry crust layers.

The pop tarts come in various flavors like strawberry, chocolate, blueberry, and brown sugar cinnamon.

Most of these varieties are frosted. 

Pop tarts contents

Processed wheat flour 

This is the main ingredient in pop tarts. It’s harmful to dogs with gluten sensitivity as it triggers allergic reactions.

Too much wheat flour contributes to diabetes and obesity, which is also bad for your dog. 


Pop-tarts are filled with commercial sugars, high fructose corn syrup, and artificial sweeteners (Xylitol).

For instance, a piece of the strawberry pop tart has 0.6 Oz. of sugar, higher than a dog should take in a day.

Too much sugar causes obesity, pancreatitis, dental problems, and tooth decay.


Pop-tarts contain a high amount of salt that is dangerous to your furry friends. 

A little salt will make your dog thirsty, while too much salt can be poisoning.

Mild cases can be treated by frequent water intake, while you should take severe cases to a vet. 


Most pop tarts contain soybean oil or palm oil, potentially harmful to dogs due to related health problems like weight gain. Tertiary butylhydroquinone (TBHQ)–a food additive used to extend the shelf life of products and prevent rancidity, is dangerous if taken in high amounts. 

Artificial flavors and coloring 

Pop-tarts are packed with coloring ingredients, artificial flavors and sweeteners, and preservatives.

Most dogs are allergic to these and can develop serious health issues which can be fatal. 

Most of the above ingredients cause an allergic reaction in dogs, and the symptoms may include:

  • Bloating
  • Flatulence 
  • Stomach upsets
  • Vomiting 
  • Colored and itchy skin 
  • Difficult in breathing
  • Frequent sneezing

Different flavors of pop-tarts

Pop-tarts are available in different flavors. Some, like chocolate, are more harmful than others. 

Strawberry pop tarts -Fruit strawberries are a delicious healthy treat recommended for dogs.

However, frosted strawberry pop tarts are not made with natural fruits and are harmful to your dog.

One strawberry pop tart is safe for your furry friend, but several can be risky due to the high sugars they contain.

Besides the sugar, it has wheat and oils not suitable for dogs with allergies.  

Chocolate pop tarts – These are the most harmful to your canine friend.

In addition to the unhealthy sugars, oils, and flour, chocolate is highly toxic to dogs–even in small amounts.

Unfortunately, commercial manufacturers mix chocolate and xylitol (both poisonous to dogs), which results in a fatal affair. 

Brown sugar cinnamon pop tarts – First, there’s no brown sugar in these pop tarts, as the name suggests.

They contain regular sugars, corn syrup, high fructose corn syrup, and molasses.

This causes the risk of arthritis, diabetes, and obesity if consumed by dogs. You also risk an allergic reaction due to the other mix-in ingredients like wheat and oils. 

Blueberry pop tarts – Raw blueberries add great nutrients to dogs. However, the frosted blueberry pop tarts are filled with sugars and artificial additives dangerous to your canine friend.

Their effects are similar to strawberry pop tarts and are better avoided. 

Risks of feeding your dog pop-tarts 

  • High sugar levels – sugars in pop tarts are more than a dog should consume in a day and make your furry friend hyperactive throughout the day. Increases chances of diabetes, pancreatitis, and insulin resistance.  
  • The frosting is bad for your dog’s teeth; try to avoid
  • Highly refined foods in pop tarts may cause digestive health issues to your dogs, such as constipation.
  • Chocolate pop tarts contain ingredients allergic to most dogs and are better avoided. 
  • Unhealthy oils can lead to weight gain and obesity
Can dogs eat pop tarts?

What can you substitute with pop-tarts?

Treats that don’t evoke an allergic reaction nor make the dogs sick are the best. Fortunately, most human foods are safe for dog consumption. Instead of frosted pop tarts, let the dogs munch on wholesome and healthy snacks such as:

Raw fruits – strawberries, apples, bananas, and blueberries. 

Veggies – carrots and green beans are also a great treat.

Peanut butter is a great alternative that your dog will appreciate.

Frequently asked questions (FAQs)

What happens if my dog eats chocolate pop-tarts?

Theobromine, present in chocolate, makes it poisonous to dogs, mainly because they cannot metabolize it effectively. You should monitor your dog closely if they consume chocolate and seek veterinary attention if they show any symptoms or are very young, pregnant, or have other health concerns.

Are pop tarts bad for dogs?

Yes, pop tarts have a low nutritional value which doesn’t benefit your canine best friend—best avoided. Your dog will get sick from ingesting pop tarts due to the toxicity levels in most. 


Pop-tarts are a popular breakfast or afternoon snack that your dog might stumble upon on your kitchen table.

It’s packed with sugars, wheat, and artificial colors dangerous for your dog—also, no nutritional value in them.

Treat your canine friend with a strawberry pop tart once in a while but do not overfeed them.

Avoid the chocolate-flavored at all costs as it costs your dog’s health severely.

Megan Turner
Latest posts by Megan Turner (see all)

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *