Can Dogs Eat Mushroom Gravy?

Mushroom gravies are delicious human food with anti-cancer agents.

With fewer calories, mushroom gravies are among the best treats for those who want to lose weight.

If you’re a dog parent, you’ll be wondering whether your canine friend will get similar benefits from eating mushroom gravy.

So, can dogs eat mushroom gravy?

No, mushroom gravies are not recommended for dogs because they contain agaritine.

This is a toxic and poisonous substance that can be fatal to dogs.

It’s worth knowing how your furry friend will be affected if he consumes mushroom gravy.

Moreover, knowing what to do if your dog accidentally eats mushroom gravy will save you from unnecessary tension.

Keep reading to get informed about these concerns.

Reasons Dogs Can’t Eat Mushroom Gravy

Mushrooms from the gravy contain agaritine, a poisonous component to dogs.

When consumed, the component affects dogs in the following ways:

Can Dogs Eat Mushroom Gravy

Causes Digestive Problems

Agaritine present in mushroom gravies can cause stomach upsets in dogs.

A dog’s digestive system is different from a human’s and therefore can’t process agaritine properly.

Agaritine will move through a dog’s stomach undigested and end up in the intestines, where it can cause inflammation.

Chronic inflammation in dogs leads to a myriad of digestive and health problems like:

  • Poor nutrient absorption
  • Diarrhea
  • Vomiting
  • Loss of appetite

Affects the Dog’s Kidneys

Agaritine doesn’t only affect a dog’s digestive system; it also damages the kidneys.

When agaritine enters the bloodstream, it will damage red blood cells and cause anemia.

The component will also deposit in the kidneys, causing inflammation.

Kidney inflammation is a severe condition that can lead to organ failure.

Severe Allergic Reactions

Like humans, dogs can be allergic to different foods.

When a dog is allergic to agaritine, the component will trigger an immune response.

The symptoms of an allergic reaction in dogs include:

  • Hives
  • Swelling of the face, lips, and tongue
  • Breathing difficulties
  • Vomiting

Allergic dogs who consume mushroom gravies will experience severe reactions that can be life-threatening.

Can Cause Liver Failure

Agaritine can also cause liver failure in dogs.

This is because the component interferes with the proper functioning of this organ.

As a result, your dog may experience weakness, loss of appetite, and jaundice.

Liver failure in dogs may translate to infectious canine hepatitis.

If not treated, this condition can be fatal.

Can Dogs Eat Mushroom Gravy Soup?

No, mushroom gravy soup contains agaritine.

Agaritine in mushroom gravy soup has similar effects on dogs as discussed earlier.

Giving your pup mushroom gravy soup thinking it’s a healthier option is bad.

The agaritine in the soup will still damage your dog’s liver, kidneys, and digestive system.

Can Dogs Eat Mushroom Gravy Once a Month?

It’s not advisable to give your dog mushroom gravy even once a month.

Agaritine is cumulative, meaning it builds up in the body over time.

Therefore, even if you give your dog mushroom gravy once a month, the agaritine will still damage his kidneys and liver.

Moreover, any amount of mushroom gravy can still trigger an allergic reaction in your pup.

What to Do if Your Dog Eats Mushroom Gravy

If your dog accidentally eats mushroom gravy, take him to the vet immediately.

The vet will diagnose your dog and administer the necessary treatment.

Treatment for mushroom gravy poisoning in dogs may include:

  • Fluids to prevent dehydration
  • Induced vomiting within 2 hours of consumption
  • Intravenous fluids to flush out agaritine from the body
  • Blood transfusions
  • Antibiotics to treat infection
  • Surgery to remove damaged tissue

Signs Your Dog Ate Mushroom Gravy

You arrive home and find your mushroom gravy missing.

You doubt if your pup ate it; what do you do?

If you think your dog has consumed mushroom gravy, watch out for the following symptoms:

  • Vomiting
  • Diarrhea
  • Loss of appetite
  • Jaundice
  • Dehydration

If you notice these symptoms, take your dog to the vet immediately.

The earlier you catch mushroom gravy poisoning, the better the chances of recovery for your pup.

How to Prevent Your Dog From Eating Mushroom Gravy

It’s your responsibility as a canine parent to prevent your pup from eating mushroom gravies.

Here are some tips to help you do that:

  • Keep your mushroom gravy out of reach. If you have to put it in the fridge, make sure it’s in a container with a tight lid.
  • Educate your family and friends about the dangers of feeding mushroom gravy to dogs.
  • Ensure your pup is well fed. A full stomach will discourage him from eating things he’s not supposed to.
  • Invest in dog-proof trash cans. This will prevent your pup from going through the garbage and eating mushroom gravy.

What to Feed Your Dog Instead of Mushroom Gravy

Now that you know mushroom gravy is poisonous to dogs, what treats should you give him?

There are many healthy treats for dogs.

The key is to ensure the treat is low in calories, salt, and fat.

It should also be free of poisonous ingredients like garlic and onion.

Some of the treats to give your pup instead of mushroom gravy include:

  • Cooked chicken
  • Cooked fish
  • Plain yogurt
  • Cottage cheese
  • Boiled eggs
  • Raw carrots
  • Green beans
  • Applesauce
  • Pumpkin puree
  • Sweet potatoes

Giving your dog any of these treats will provide him with the nutrients needed for a healthy and active life.

Frequently Asked Questions

What are the symptoms of mushroom gravy poisoning in dogs?

The symptoms of mushroom gravy poisoning in dogs include vomiting, diarrhea, loss of appetite, jaundice, and dehydration.

In severe conditions, mushroom gravy poisoning can cause seizures.

How long does it take for mushroom gravy to poison a dog?

Mushroom poisoning in dogs starts as early as 15 minutes after consumption.

However, it can take longer depending on the amount of mushroom gravy consumed.

What is the treatment for mushroom poisoning in dogs?

In dogs, the treatment for mushroom poisoning includes fluids to prevent dehydration, induced vomiting, intravenous fluids, blood transfusions, antibiotics, and surgery.

Final Thoughts

Dogs should not eat mushroom gravy as it’s toxic to them.

Some dogs are also sensitive to mushrooms, and a small amount will make them sick.

Giving your pup mushroom gravy may lead to complications like liver failure, gastrointestinal problems, kidney diseases, and allergic reactions.

Feed your dog healthy treats like plain yogurt, cooked fish, chicken, and turkey instead of mushroom gravy.

Megan Turner
Latest posts by Megan Turner (see all)

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *