Can Dogs Eat Glazed Donuts?

Picture this; it’s a warm summer day, and you’re strolling through the park with your best furry friend by your side.

You spot a vendor selling delicious-looking glazed donuts, and your mouth starts to water.

But then you remember that you’re not the only one with a sweet tooth- your dog is also eyeing up those tasty treats!

So can dogs eat glazed donuts?

The short answer is yes, in moderation. Like most human foods, glazed donuts should not make up the bulk of your dog’s diet.

But a few licks of the frosting or a small bite of the doughnut itself probably won’t hurt them.

While donuts might not be the healthiest snack for you, they don’t necessarily threaten your dog.

It is ok to let your dog indulge in a glazed donut or two in moderation.

While some human foods are poisonous to dogs, such as chocolate, onions, and grapes, donuts are not on that list.

This article will explore the topic of whether or not dogs can eat glazed donuts, as well as discuss the possible risks and benefits of doing so.

Can Dogs Eat Glazed Donuts

What makes glazed donuts toxic? 

Indisputably, the more the toppings and fillings, the better.

However, dogs are affected mainly by the ingredients of these toppings and fillings.

These ingredients include:

Xylitol

This is an unnatural sweetener, lethal to dogs.

Xylitol can be found either in the donuts or in the toppings and fillings used on the donuts.

It misleads the body into producing less blood sugar, therefore making the dog deficient in sugars, which are vital for producing energy.

The dog’s brain is the most affected body part in this situation, thus making it risky.

Chocolate

Chocolate contains a chemical known as theobromine which is hazardous to all dogs.

Dark chocolate has more theobromine than its white and milk counterparts.

In this regard, your dog eating a glazed donut with dark chocolate would cause more severe effects when compared to eating the other two types. 

Can a dog with medical complications eat a glazed donut?

Dogs with underlying medical conditions and are required to avoid certain foods are at a higher risk of being affected by toxic ingredients that may be present in glazed donuts. 

If diabetic dogs eat glazed donuts with so much sugary stuff, they will have fluctuations in their blood sugar levels.

On the other hand, a dog suffering from pancreatitis will experience stomach disruptions when they eat glazed donuts due to the high-fat contents. 

What should be done when your dog eats a donut? 

The first step is to put away the leftover donuts to avoid worsening the situation.

Secondly, you should identify the contents of the donuts and the amount of each ingredient eaten by the dog.

Donuts with sugar will not have tremendous effects on your dog except if they have xylitol.

If the donut contains chocolate, then note the type and amount taken.

Lastly, if your dog has eaten the glazed donut in massive amounts, you should contact the veterinarian immediately.

You must follow the veterinarian’s instructions to the latter.

What will happen to your dog after eating a glazed donut?

A plain glazed donut doesn’t have toxic contents.

Apart from occasional tummy upsets, your dog will be fine in one to two days after eating a plain glazed donut.

However, a glazed chocolate donut will cause your dog to experience restlessness, diarrhea, wonky motion, rapid breathing, seizures, and vomiting.

The effects on your dog will vary according to the amount of theobromine taken. 

Lastly, a donut with xylitol will cause your dog to suffer from weakness, feeling lethargic, vomiting, and seizures.

These may take place approximately twelve hours after the intake of the donut.

This is because your dog’s energy level will keep reducing with time.

What will the veterinarian recommend for your dog after eating a toxic donut?

In case of chocolate poisoning, the veterinarian will prescribe intensive care for your dog.

After that, a blood test is administered to determine if your dog has suffered any damage to the liver.

Afterwards, your dog will be hospitalized and administered an IV drip that provides fluids and medication to it.

No antidote works in treating the effects of theobromine.

Therefore, this management continues until all the theobromine is cleared out of the dog’s system.

In most cases, a high theobromine intake is fatal for many dogs. 

Xylitol poisoning also requires intensive care as there is no antidote for its effects either.

First, a blood test determines your dog’s blood sugar levels.

Then, your dog will receive auxiliary blood sugars through an IV drip to manage the effects.

The outcomes of this treatment also vary as they depend on the amount of xylitol eaten by the dog.

Can dogs eat Krispy Kreme Glazed Donuts?

Krispy Kreme donuts should be kept far away from your dog.

They contain high amounts of sugar, detrimental to the dog’s health.

Your dog’s stomach will not be able to handle these high amounts of sugar.

You should expect your dog to suffer from vomiting and diarrhea after taking a Krispy Kreme glazed donut.

Although the intensity of these symptoms will vary according to the amount taken by your dog.

Conclusion

Donuts add no nutritional value to dogs, just as in humans.

The intake of donuts only makes your dog add unnecessary weight and suffer severe effects of toxic substances that may be present in the donuts.

So, while treating your dog with a donut, make sure it is plain.

Otherwise, always opt for other forms of nutritious treats. 

Megan Turner
Latest posts by Megan Turner (see all)

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *