Most dog owners have been caught up in a dog plus sugary treat dilemma, especially when they decide to make it hard for you with those cute puppy eyes and smiles.
It gets worse when you think of the endless hugs you’ll get after succumbing to their temptations—the resistance wears out.
After sharing a bite, you wonder, can dogs eat cotton candy grapes?
So, can dogs eat cotton candy grapes?
Dogs shouldn’t eat cotton candy grapes or any other grape variety.
First, grapes are toxic to dogs, even in small amounts.
Additionally, cotton candy grapes have 12% more sugar and calories than the typical table grapes, making them riskier for your canines.
We share some valuable information on why canines can’t eat cotton candy grapes or products containing grapes and what you should do if they accidentally ingest some.
What are cotton candy grapes?
As the name suggests, these grapes taste like cotton candy-sweet and sugary.
They are a fruit variety specific to the grapery group with different shapes and names—the shape resembles a regular old green grape.
These grape varieties are incredibly sugary, juicy, and flavorful.
They’re a cross-breed of different grapes resulting in a vanilla flavor.
Cotton candy grapes have 12% more sugar than the typical grape varieties but less than raisins.
Why are cotton candy grapes bad for dogs?
Cotton candy grapes are an all-natural grape variety that has been bred to taste like cotton candy.
Going overboard with grapes can cause more harm than good.
Although grapes are nutritious for humans, they are hazardous to dogs in the following ways;
Cotton candy grapes have a high sugar percentage unhealthy for canines.
Snacking on grapes is okay, but overdoing it can lead to weight gain, diabetes, and pancreatitis due to an inflamed pancreas.
These natural sugars can lead to a spike in blood glucose if consumed in large amounts.
It’s important to feed your dog fruits in moderated amounts for maximum benefits.
Too much cotton candy grapes can increase acidity levels in your dog’s stomach, causing irritations and gastrointestinal problems.
The seeds are difficult to digest and thus can cause abdominal discomfort leading to appendicitis in canines.
Excess consumption of sugary food causes diarrhea or loose stool in dogs.
Since grapes have insoluble fiber, large doses can easily interfere with digestive functioning.
Dogs, like humans, can develop various food allergies when introduced to new diets.
Although not common, grapes can cause allergic reactions to canines.
Feed them in small amounts and closely monitor them for the following reactions;
- Nausea and lack of appetite
- Excessive itchiness and skin rashes
- Swelling on the face
- Diarrhea and vomiting
- Excessive paw licking
- Grape toxicity
Cotton candy grapes and any products containing grapes (grape juice, jelly, or wine) are toxic to canines even in small amounts and should not be given to them.
Although the exact toxin in grapes is not yet clear, its toxicity can be fatal and life-threatening to pups.
The toxic effects of cotton candy grapes differ in various breeds depending on their size, weight, and underlying medical condition.
Some dogs have been affected adversely, while for others, it’s just mild impacts that subdue with time.
The onset of symptoms can occur immediately after ingestion or within 12 to 24 hours.
Signs of grape toxicity in dogs include;
- Increased thirst and urination
- Low appetite
- Body weakness
- Bad breath
What should I do if my dog accidentally overeats cotton candy grapes?
If your furry friend over eats cotton candy grapes, treat it as an emergency and contact your vet right away.
Do not induce vomiting without your vet’s instructions or if your furry pal is unconscious, has trouble breathing, or shows signs of shock.
Closely monitor for signs like weakness, abdominal discomfort, diarrhea, or vomiting if they don’t show any symptoms, but you’re sure they consumed grapes.
Even if the dog isn’t showing any signs, take them to a vet because grape poisonous can be fatal.
What about other types of grapes? Are they dog-safe?
No, dogs should never eat grapes.
Grapes, whichever kind (green or purple), are highly lethal to canines.
Although research is yet to ascertain the exact toxic substance, puppies cannot metabolize tannins, flavonoids, and monosaccharides found in grapes.
Even one grape can make a dog sick regardless of its size, weight, age, and general health condition—though the symptoms will be mild.
However, eating grapes, especially in large amounts, can result in kidney failure in dogs.
Can dogs eat cotton candy grape seeds?
Yes, there’s no correlation between the toxicity of grape fruits and grape seed extract.
Grape seeds extract has been used as a cure for arthritis in dogs for decades with no adverse side effects.
Its potent antioxidant properties help boost the immune system and have anti-inflammatory effects suitable for dogs with allergic skin conditions.
Unlike whole grapes, cotton candy grape seeds extract is nontoxic to dogs.
What’s the best healthy alternative fruit to cotton candy grapes for dogs?
Fresh homemade fruit juice is not only nutritious but also safe for your canine friend.
Apples, watermelons, oranges, and bananas are among fruits you can easily blend and offer your dog as additional to their daily diet.
Offering whole fresh fruits is a much better alternative to fruit punch.
Another healthy option is vegetables like carrots which your dog will enjoy the crunch.
Alternatively, blend veggies like avocado, cauliflower, peas, and others that your dog likes into a healthy smoothie and offer as a snack.
Cotton candy grapes are not necessarily unhealthy for dogs to eat, but they are toxic to them.
No amount of grape-containing products are considered safe for dogs; however, grape seed extract is an inflammation reliever for dogs with arthritis.
The greatest threat is grape poisoning which can result in kidney failure and sudden death in canines.
Now, with all the details on dogs and cotton candy grapes, be cautious the next time you’re eating grapes and store them carefully to avoid accidents.