It’s easy to share a bottle of Powerade zero with your pup while running or doing any vigorous activity together to hydrate and energize them, but what about the ingredients?
You may have wondered if the sugar-free sports drink is safe for your pup to consume.
So can a dog drink Powerade zero?
Yes, a dog can drink Powerade zero, albeit in moderation.
The drink has electrolytes and carbohydrates that will re-energize your pooch.
However, it also contains artificial colorings and sweeteners that may harm them.
For instance, Red 40, artificial color in Powerade zero, may make your pooch susceptible to cancer if they consume it in high amounts.
This article discusses the dangers and benefits of dogs consuming excess Powerade zero.
It also includes a recipe for Powerade-like drinks for dogs and a list of other safe drinks for these canines.
Dangers of excess Powerade zero to dogs
Your pup may suffer from the following conditions if they consume high amounts of Powerade zero.
- Dehydration – This drink has a considerable amount of sodium, leading to dehydration in dogs. Instead of hydrating Fido as intended, Powerade zero will only make their dehydration severe.
- Cancer – Powerade zero uses artificial colorings like Blu 1 and Red 40, which contain cancer-causing contaminants making it unsafe for your furry best friend.
- Depletion of essential nutrients – The calcium disodium in this drink may cause a deficiency of vital minerals like zinc in dogs. Excess intake of this compound could also lead to diarrhea, vomiting, and stomach pain in these canines.
- Diabetes – Although Powerade zero doesn’t contain sugar, it could cause your puppy to contract diabetes. This is because the sugar substitutes, Sucralose and Acesulfame, used in this drink also trigger dogs’ sugar levels, making them susceptible to diabetes.
How much Powerade zero is safe for my dog?
Dogs should drink water when dehydrated as it doesn’t contain harmful additives and will quench their thirst sufficiently.
That said, indulging in this drink in small quantities will not harm your four-legged friend, and they might even benefit from its reenergizing components.
About four ounces or a few sips of Powerade zero daily is safe for your pooch.
It’s also advisable to mix Powerade zero with water at a ratio of 1:1 to reduce the amounts of sodium in this drink before feeding it to your pet.
Will Powerade zero hydrate my dog?
Giving your pooch some sips of Powerade zero is better than leaving them dehydrated.
Although this drink will not fully hydrate your furry best friend, its electrolytes will keep Fido going for a while.
Dehydration may lead to kidney failures, unconsciousness, or even death in dogs; give them something to drink if Fido showcases the symptoms below.
- Excessive panting
- Low energy levels
- Dry eyes, nose, and mouth
Recipe for a Powerade-like drink for dogs
If Fido enjoys Powerade zero, below is a recipe for making lemon punch, a Powerade-like drink that will satisfy your furry friend’s thirst and boost their health.
¼ teaspoon of salt
1 ¼ cup of water
¼ cup of sugar
¼ teaspoon of baking soda
1 tablespoon of lemon juice
Mix the ingredients in a jug
Pour the mixture into a container and freeze overnight
Remove the container from the freezer and let the drink sit for 10 to 15 minutes
Alternatives to Powerade zero for dogs
The following fluids will keep your pooch hydrated and nourished at all times; switch them up with Powerade zero from time to time.
- Carrot juice – This drink is rich in several vitamins essential for dogs’ health maintenance and growth. For instance, vitamin A will boost your pup’s eye health.
- Coconut water – Besides hydrating your furry best friend, coconut water contains antioxidants that promote dogs’ immune systems.
- Orange juice – This juice is fiber-rich, enhancing dogs’ digestive systems. It will also promote the proper functioning of Fido’s nerves and muscles.
- Apple juice – Apples contain antioxidants that reduce inflammation and promote healthy aging in these canines.
- Beef bone broth – Bone broth is rich in anti-inflammatory nutrients like glucosamine, sulfate, and condition that will keep Fido’s joints strong.
Unsafe drinks for dogs
Below are some drinks your pooch should never have, regardless of how thirsty they are.
Alcohol – Dogs can’t metabolize alcohol. This drink also has ethanol that causes troubled breathing, slowed heart rate, or heart attacks.
Coke – Coke has high amounts of sugar, which may cause a sudden rise in dogs’ blood sugar levels hence unsafe. This drink is also rich in caffeine, leading to poor muscle control and seizures in dogs.
Grape juice – Dogs can’t metabolize the monosaccharide, tannins, and flavonoids in grapes. In this regard, Fido may suffer from kidney failure if they take this drink.
Can my dog drink Powerade zero on an empty stomach?
It’s unsafe for these canines to consume Powerade zero on an empty stomach.
This drink will stimulate their stomachs leading to excess production of hydrochloric acid, which can be uncomfortable and painful for dogs.
Your pup might also suffer from indigestion if they have this drink on an empty stomach because it will destroy their stomach lining.
Frequently asked questions(FAQs)
Can Powerade zero kill my dog?
Ingesting Powerade zero will not kill your pup.
However, excess intake of this drink may lead to severe conditions like kidney problems in dogs.
Can Powerade zero cause kidney stones in dogs?
Excess intake of Powerade zero could cause your pup to contract kidney stones.
However, your pooch is safe if they have a few sips of this drink every once in a while.
Does Powerade zero contain xylitol?
Powerade zero doesn’t have xylitol.
It substitutes this artificial sweetener for other alternatives like sucralose and Acesulfame.
Is Pedialyte safe for my dog?
Pedialyte is safe for dog consumption in small amounts.
However, you should only give this over-the-counter drug to Fido after consulting with the vet.
Can my dog drink soda?
You shouldn’t let your pup drink soda as it has high amounts of sugar and caffeine.
Excess sugar intake will cause Fido to suffer from diabetes, while high doses of caffeine lead to high blood pressure in dogs.
Although Powerade zero is safe for dogs in small amounts, excessive intake of this drink could cause Fido to suffer severe health conditions like kidney failure and cancer.
Therefore, always opt for water or other safe drinks like carrot juice and bone broth to keep your pooch hydrated.